Re: Logo and text - revised

> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:04:07 -0500 (EST)
> From: Donovan Rebbechi <elflord@panix.com>
> To: independence-l@independence.seul.org
> Subject: Re: Logo and text - revised

> > <STRONG>the</STRONG> dominant operating system.  But
> > this will not happen if Linux continues to be a system for an elite, such as, a
> > system that depends upon the past, UNIX.

> > striving to be a distribution which is built by volunteers who are willing
> > to shun UNIX and think Linux.</p>
>
> Ouch. Speaking for myself, I use OpenBSD on my server because in terms of
> its security features, it is a zillion times more advanced than linux. But
> you wouldn't catch me using it on my home computer.
>
> The point is not that UNIX is bad, the point is that Linux targets
> home user's desktop and UNIX doesn't.

The Linux kernel has several security features that are not exrcised
in distributions.  Linux has no ACLs presently but it is only a matter
of time it gets newer filesystems BSD can't match.  For instance the
filesystem donated by SGI.

A fundamental problem is that ACLs or no ACLs the Unix security model
is pretty weak.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org