Re: Status reports.

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, David Webster wrote:
>
> > I used PHP because it worked first time (#include didn't) and can include
> > remote files, which I'm not sure if #include can.
>
> Getting #include to work may require tweaking your apache config files.
> You need
> Options Includes
> in the appropriate section of access.conf.
> You also need to uncomment the AddHandler directive in srm.conf

I know about the AddHandler one, but I'm not sure if I've got the Options
thing. I'll have a check later.

> Including remote URLs is usually a bad idea though there may be
> exceptions.

The place I was using the remote include was (is) to grab the news
headlines from HNN. I either set it up like that, or rigged a script on
the remote server that grabbed the file when it changed, and then include
it as a local file. Either way I'd still be including a remote file
without checking it, the second way would just mean that the remote
(untrusted) file is copied to my web server. Added to that I didn't have a
shell account, so I couldn't hack together a script that did that.

But yes, as Antionline found out, including a remote file /is/ bad news. I
just can't see of anyother way to get the news headlines to my site,
quickly.

David
| David M. Webster '------------------------------' (aka cogNiTioN) |
|===| I use Linux everyday to up my productivity - so up yours! |===|
| cognition@bigfoot.com |-|=============|-| http://www.cognite.net/ |
`===========| I walk to the beat of a different drummer |==========='