Re: Web site, SSI, SSH, and Windows SCP

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, R.G. Mayhue wrote:

> Donovan, I've never actually used SSI myself so I need to ask. If I
> could send a plain text file to a certain part of the web site, could SSI
> include the file to a page template? Or would I need to use some markup
> in the body of the file?

I am not sure what you're asking. I think the answer is "yes" though.

Most of what we're currently doing involves pulling one file into another.

> What I'm after is, lets say we start including pages on the site that
> mark the progress of current Indy projects. For example the Indialer
> project I am currently working on. I am fairly fluent in HTML and
> editing and maintaining my own pages would not be a problem, but if I
> could just upload a plain text log

I see. And the page could be sucked into another page via server side
includes. That would work ( actually , it's the kind of thing they're good
for )

> of the progress of the project to a
> designated area of the site that requires no SSH or other encryption,
> a script like Roger's

I am not sure what kind of "script" you are talking about. Allowing
anonymous uploads *directly to the site* is a bad idea though. If you're
concerned about scp, I suggest ftp-ing to an incoming directory, then use
an ssh-telnet  session to move it to the right location. ( if you need a
free ssh client for windows, try ttssh )

> I think it would be a good idea to add project pages to the site. It

I agree. WOuld you like a page for your project ?

> What do you think? Give me a page and I'll write up a progress report
> and upload it to whichever directory I'm told. I could even automate
> the process on my end.

Essentially a good idea. I don't like allowing arbitrary anonymous uploads
though, because it is like putting a back door on cran.

Cheers,
--
Donovan