Antaeus web page

Put it in Netscape and did a little editing.
-<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
   <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Mozilla/4.08 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.0.36 i586) [Netscape]">
   <TITLE>Independence distribution</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<H1>
Independence Linux 6.0-0.8</H1>
Independence is a distribution based on RedHat built by volunteers. The
version number is of two parts: 6.0 is the RedHat release we based it upon,
0.8 is the release of the Indy-specific part.
<H2>
A distribution belonging to us, the users</H2>
Independence is not just another distributions which has appeared daily
for the last months. It aspires to be a distribution which allows the user
to hear their voice within designed distribution. It is built by volunteers
who no longer accept a design built by an aristocracy of designers who
desire solutions that have little relation to the problems faced by most
Linux users. Indy is built by people who don't accept the fact that present
distributions continually neglect two areas vital for the future of Linux:
the desk top and the personal computer.
<H2>
Why do we revolt?</H2>
Year after year, version after version, distribution designers have been
living in a nice little Unix world, which has little relation to the Linux
world in which we are living.
<UL>
<LI>
Since Unix was never used at home, distribution designers ignored the problems
of the dial-up user, they have made distributions which are basically useless
for a personal user or made the absurd assumption that people would leave
their computers on 24 hours a day to burn watt after watt, paid by the
user, of course.</LI>

<LI>
Distribution designers still ship distributions which are basically unforgiving
to user errors; to start far too many daemons by default -each unneeded
daemon is a potential security hole. In fact, they rely on the Unix model:
where expensive systems are used by organizations who provide an experienced
system administrator to fix problems.</LI>

<LI>
Distribution people still assume that Linux will remain confined in the
server role like its Unix brethren. Thus they didn't care about manual
mountings -a minor problem in servers, a sizable loss of time in work stations;
they neglect productivity software and don't seem to know that one might
need much more than Samba (linking one computer to another) when interacting
with Windows computers.</LI>
</UL>
The fact is Linux is inexpensive and that does not make it an inexpensive
Unix, but a system which will be used for tasks for which Unix was never
intended and by people who have different goals than traditional Unix users.
To ensure Linux growth, it needs to expand in those areas where Unix is
absent and which are presently neglected by traditional distributions. To
displace; Windows, we have to learn to;<HREF
<em>Think Linux>.
<P>We at project Independence are tired of seeing people asking for help
from Windows because nobody cares about the problems of the dial-up user;
we are tired of distributions who assume we don't have a life; we are tired
of unforgiving distributions built on the assumption the Linux user has
a nanny to fix problems until he knows how to fix them by himself. When
at the office we are tired of being unable to get the messages of the NT
print server; we are tired of the sardonic smile in the face of the
Windows activist when he see us struggle with smbmount. We are tired of
waiting for a distribution designed for the<Linux world HREF Think Linux>.
<H2>
The Independence distribution Independence is a free distribution designed
for users by users. We built it because we feel that by ignoring those
people who don't fit in the classical Unix schema, distribution designers
are treating them like second class users. They are slowing Linux growth
outside Unix ecological niche that is 95% of the users. You can find more
info about the distribution in the<HREF distribution
page>. Independence
is volunteer work and it will make faster progress if
<I>you</I> participate.
If you believe that the Linux user is different and needs<HREF <em>Linux
solutions Think Linux>, if you believe that we, users of the front line,
are in the best position to determine what is good for us, if you want
Linux spreading everywhere then</H2>

<H3>
Join us<HREF>Page d'adh&eacute;sions</H3>

</BODY>