RE: recognising my cd drive?

Presumably you get as far as the Local CDROM or Hard Drive message.
Then you get the 'Insert your Independence CD' message and OK that
and it fails on the next bit where you normally get a message saying
'Initializing CDROM'. Looking at the code it looks like you should
get a list of drivers to try. As I remember in the dialog box you
don't need to specify the optcd=, you just put in the actually option
value i.e. 0x320. From your SuSE installation it would seem that the
optcd driver is the correct driver which suprises me if it is a Sound
Blaster card. I would have expected the correct driver to be sbpcd with
the options being ioport,SoundBlaster (i.e. 0x320,SoundBlaster)

When you are at the Local CDROM prompt or the Insert your Independence
CD prompt you should be able to switch screens using Alt F1 and Alt F3.
Alt F1 switches to the installation screen and Alt F3 switches to a
log screen. Before the install probes the CDROM the last messages should
be something like

* keymap uk
* loaded 9 keymap tables

If you let us know the messages that are logged after this when you try
to access the CDROM it may help.

I'm not surprised you can't boot from the CDROM. Even if your bios
supported it - I don't know of any CDROMs that attached to sound cards
that were bootable.

Mike