Re: Comparing software

Den fre, 29 okt 1999 skrev du:
> In the front page of the LinuxJournal site
> (http://www.linuxjournal.com) you will find an article about the myth
> of lack of applicatioons in Linux suggesting applications who could
> motivate a user to switch from Windows.  I would be highly interested
> by a comparison between the applications suggested by the author and
> those present in indy.  Specially
>
> TkRat againast Mahoganny (mail readers)

I tried the Rat and I wasn't impressed. I thought Mahoganny was dead, last I
checked it hadn't been updated in a long time. AFAIK kmail and Netscape mail
are the only mailklients worth considering. Maybe xfmail too if it wasn't for
the hideous xforms toolkit and the license (free for noncommercial use).

The situation with Xfmail is qoute interesting btw. The original
copyrightholders seems to have lost interest in it and maintenance has been
taken over by a loosely organized group of users. Can they change the license
if they want? What would ESR have to say about that, I wonder? :-)

> I would also be interested in an eval of gphoto (we have no
> equivalent) and in a comparison of Wxftp against gftp (both in Indy).

Gftp has improved slightly over time. I thinks it's useable now but the version
numbering is ludicrous, compared to WindowMaker or E.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Birger Langkjer