Re: Comparing software

> Den fre, 29 okt 1999 skrev du:
> > In the front page of the LinuxJournal site
> > (http://www.linuxjournal.com) you will find an article about the myth
> > of lack of applicatioons in Linux suggesting applications who could
> > motivate a user to switch from Windows.  I would be highly interested
> > by a comparison between the applications suggested by the author and
> > those present in indy.  Specially
> >
> > TkRat againast Mahoganny (mail readers)
>
> I tried the Rat and I wasn't impressed. I thought Mahoganny was dead, last I
> checked it hadn't been updated in a long time. AFAIK kmail and Netscape mail

Netscape and kmail are heavyweights.

> are the only mailklients worth considering. Maybe xfmail too if it wasn't for
> the hideous xforms toolkit and the license (free for noncommercial use).

I ever liked xforms but I am from the generation who used Linux when
Athena was about the only widgets we had.

About XFmail I have tried to join the author severla times but failed,
I even asked to other Israeli people but seems no one has heard of him.

About Mahoganny it goes without saying that the status
maintained/unmaintained is part of the criteria for choosing a mail
reader, at least if it is buggy.

I would like a mail reader we can show to a a Netscape reader without
making him laugh while light enough for a reasonable box.

> The situation with Xfmail is qoute interesting btw. The original
> copyrightholders seems to have lost interest in it and maintenance has been
> taken over by a loosely organized group of users. Can they change the license
> if they want? What would ESR have to say about that, I wonder? :-)

We don't even know if the author is alive.  Then the heirs aare the
owners of xfmail.

> > I would also be interested in an eval of gphoto (we have no
> > equivalent) and in a comparison of Wxftp against gftp (both in Indy).
>
> Gftp has improved slightly over time. I thinks it's useable now but the version
> numbering is ludicrous, compared to WindowMaker or E.

You don't know Microsoft version numbers.

Gftp seems quite good but like most Gnome applications it is
completely undocumented.  Quality of documentation is also one of the
factors in deciding what we have to ship.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org