Re: promiscuous mode

Um,

You *are* on a -shared- network port, not a switched
port, aren't you?  Doesn't matter whether you promiscous
mode turned on or not if you're on a switched port. You'll
only see traffic destined for that host.

We use optical splitters to peel a portion of the signal
out for monitoring purposes.  Mirror ports work as well, but
they add CPU overhead to the router.

-Bob Currier

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Guido Notari wrote:

> Is it there any obvious reason for promiscuos mode not to work?
>
> I've just intalled 2.3.1 on a machine which is connected, via a small
> hub, to a few machines, exposed to the internet, and using the pool of
> static internet address our provider gave us.
>
> Having set promiscous mode (On), i still can observe in Ip traffic
> monitor only the connection of the machine running iptraf, not others.
>
> Am I overlooking something?
>
> 	Ciao
> 		Guido
>
> --
> You left them alone in a room with a penguin?! Mr Gates, your men are
> already dead.

| A writer is not a confectioner, a cosmetic dealer,       |
| or an entertainer. He is a man who has signed a contract |
| with his conscience and his sense of duty.   --Chekhov   |