Re: [kidsgames] Story based games???

On 16-Apr-2000 Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:

I will probably regret responding to this trollfest, but here goes...

(clip)

>>  when the situation calls for it. Everyone is
>> entitled to their own opinions, but not entitled to try to force them on
>> someone else.
>
> Then If my opinion is to have sex with a nice blonde, and the blonde
> doesn't want to, I'm not entitled to try to change her opinion...
> And who entitles people for being entitled for anything? It's
> a recursive "entitling".

Maybe prolog is better for that purpose? maybe lisp or scheme? Maybe dialog? So
far your 'facts' have been matters of opinion. I too was once highly
opinionated, about half a decade ago I was informing everyone how anything
interesting should be in C++ and Linux... But I grew up. The best language is
the one the person is most comfortable with and fullfills the needs best. I'd
probably use prolog or scheme before python for hefty recursive things. I'd
probably use C before either of those, because I can belt it out a lot faster
and with less errors than either.

>> The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
>> probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
>> may result in severe boredom or confusion.
>
> I don't imagine you in boredom, with those nice C codes seg faulting
> all the time. But confusion , yes, lots of it. A secret for
> not being confused in a C code, try to understand 13 libraries
> written in Perl, after that any code will seem clean , even C or Java.

first off, ripping on a sig is pretty low. Second, seg faults are from a misuse
of the language. Good C code does not seg fault (most C code is not good imho).
If you are having problems with seg faults, you should try learning the
language. Third, I would much rather be faced with a syntatic error that I can
use software to sniff out for me than an elusive logical error. 'Sides, my
pittance hardware runs python code dog slow.

>> Shake well before opening. Keep
>> Refrigerated.
>>

> And a challenge, you talk about speed, try:
> http://www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina/cruo/genaut.py
> where you have a backtracking algorithm implemented in python,
> it's 400 lines. Try to do it in C++, you'll need no less than
> 1500 lines, and after so much work it won't be more than twice fast!!
> Is it worth C++ for complex things? Definetely not.

I strongly doubt 1500 lines would be needed. Had I time to spend thumping my
chest with you, I would do up a couple versions in other languages that are
quite smaller than your python script. But I do not.

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org