Re: [kidsgames] Story based games???

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Erik wrote:
> This programming language holy war is getting idiotic.

Wars are idiotic, specially the holy ones.

> Each language has its
> strengths and weaknesses,

My point was that C++ strengths are not useful for  story game
engines and its weakness are serious for story game engines. Is this
a holy war? No, they're plain facts.

>anyone who says there is one language that's right
> for everything is plain wrong.

Noone says the contrary.

>  when the situation calls for it. Everyone is
> entitled to their own opinions, but not entitled to try to force them on
> someone else.

Then If my opinion is to have sex with a nice blonde, and the blonde
doesn't want to, I'm not entitled to try to change her opinion...
And who entitles people for being entitled for anything? It's
a recursive "entitling".

> The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
> probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
> may result in severe boredom or confusion.

I don't imagine you in boredom, with those nice C codes seg faulting
all the time. But confusion , yes, lots of it. A secret for
not being confused in a C code, try to understand 13 libraries
written in Perl, after that any code will seem clean , even C or Java.

> Shake well before opening. Keep
> Refrigerated.

And a challenge, you talk about speed, try:
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina/cruo/genaut.py
where you have a backtracking algorithm implemented in python,
it's 400 lines. Try to do it in C++, you'll need no less than
1500 lines, and after so much work it won't be more than twice fast!!
Is it worth C++ for complex things? Definetely not.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm

  Decorate your home. It gives the illusion that your life is more interesting than it really is. -- C. Schulz

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org