RE: [kidsgames] Word

[ Whatever happened to putting kidsgames in the reply-to? not enough
votes, or was it voted down? ]

First, I did listen to some of the Festival synthesis examples
from their page, and I'm surprised how bad it sounds.  I guess the
high-end synthesis system I was listening to four years ago really
was high-end.  They do have a sample near the bottom which uses
a better synthesis technique, and it sounds pretty reasonable
[http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/sounds/sbs1.wav].
I understand they are still using sub-word samples, but they have
different samples for each prosodic context.  I think you will be hard
pressed to do better using full words to synthesize connected speech.

And, if you are talking about reading books as you are in the following,
then you indeed want to synthesize connected speech.  Now, since you are
talking about the same material in multiple languages you are clearly
not talking about arbitrary text (translation is in an even sorrier state
than synthesis).  The text will have to be translated.  Getting a reading
of the translated text is even easier than getting it translated in the
first place.  So instead of looking for good speech synthesizers, you
should be looking for high quality speech compression.  Perhaps some of
the internet phone applications have it built in?  Note that speech
compressors will do horribly on things like music or environmental
sounds, but you want to keep these separate from the speech stream anyway
for a multiligual story so that you only have to do them once.

	- Paul

-