Re: [kidsgames] Typing/Reading Tutors

Hello,

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Robert Black wrote:

-->Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 05:57:23 -0600
-->From: Robert Black <shadow@info66.com>
-->To: kidsgames@smluc.org
-->Subject: [kidsgames] Typing/Reading Tutors
-->
-->I hope I'm not putting the cart before the horse to suggest a couple of
-->programs if someone was looking for an idea. I was looking for a single
-->floppy program to run on a 486 when our windows machines were tied up for
-->my stepdaughter (age 12) to play some new games and ran across a free one
-->(no charge, not gnu type free) for windows put out by
-->http://typingmaster.com/index.html.
-->
-->A short description of the program is a game where words float from the
-->bottom of the screen in bubbles and you have to type them before they
-->dissapear at the top. I was really amazed that she enjoyed playing the game
-->as it grades your words per minute and accuracy and net words per minute.
-->There are a couple of other games in there also. She now plays this
-->everyday and tells me her score.
-->

xletters does this, but they fall from the sky instead of bubbling up.
You can find a link to it on linuxforkids.com.  It's on the cd Chris sent
me anyway, I assume it's on the website.

-->As typing and reading instruction is a base skill I thought I might give
-->someone some ideas. After we get moved in a month or two I will give her a
-->Linux machine linked to our home net and put her in the beta tester pool
-->for kids games.
-->
-->Robert
-->

Another one on that same cd is typespeed.  Which is REALLY hard... :) it's
console based and the words flow from left to right across the screen.

I see Brian Minton as already mentioned this one...Thanks Brian

I now see that xletters was already mentioned by Chris Ellec...Thanks
Chris

-->-
-->kidgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe" in the
-->body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org