Re: [kidsgames] SMLUC on Kidsgames

Hello Bill,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, William Kendrick wrote:

-->Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:48:35 -0800 (PST)
-->From: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
-->To: kidsgames@smluc.org
-->Subject: Re: [kidsgames] SMLUC on Kidsgames
-->
-->> Perhaps all of the different logo implementors should merge some of thier
-->> talents ?!  You webturtle looks neat but still intimidating for child I
-->> think :)
-->
-->I've been considering doing something under Linux like "Delta Drawing,"
-->which was a turtle-based drawing language cart. I had for my Atari computer
-->when I was a kid.  (Still have it, but never use it :) )
-->

This is something I hope Toby/glogo will address in the near future.

-->It was a bit simpler.  Commands were single keystrokes, so you could issue
-->commands while watching the results.  For example:
-->
-->  D D D R R R R R R D D D R R R R R R D D D R R R R R R D D D
-->
-->would draw a square.  ("D" was obviously for "Draw", and would draw like 10
-->pixels.  You could press "SHIFT-D" to draw like 5 pixels, and "CONTROL-D"
-->for one pixel.  Similarly, "R" was, I believe, 15 degrees.  CONTROL-R would be
-->one degree.)
-->

Still intimidating for children under say 8 I would think.

-->(It's obviously been a while.)
-->
-->
-->If anything, it might be fun to make a "draw with geometry" program which
-->wasn't an actual programming language (like Delta Drawing was)...
-->

Dr. Geo may be doing this, check the seul.org/edu projects page for it.  I
got it once but haven't played with it much.

-->-bill!
-->
-->
--