Re: [kidsgames] graphic artists show of hands

Hi Erik,

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Erik Greenwald wrote:

-->Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:29:13 GMT
-->From: Erik Greenwald <erik@smluc.org>
-->To: kidsgames@lazarus.smluc.org
-->Subject: [kidsgames] graphic artists show of hands
-->
-->Hi, I'm slating a kids game as the project after thet one I'm on right now, and

Great!  Any hints as to theme...

-->I was wondering how many graphic artists are on this list. Most kids games seem
-->to have a hand drawn cartoon feel to the art, and I'm going to guess there's a
-->reason behind it (do children respond better to cartoony graphics as opposed to
-->raytraced or scanned?)

I am not a graphic artist.  I think it's because that's easier to do than
real stuff, like they do for adult's.  I don't know, simple color schemes
do seem to appeal to the kids, and less busy screens make it somewhat
easier to tell what to "click" on.

--> My talent lies in coding, not art, so even though I have
-->enough skill and an idea, I doubt what I could make alone would be acceptable
-->to the target audience. Ok, Ok, so my big talent isn't code, it's opening my
-->mouth and letting the crap fly, I'm still interested in how many people
-->consider themselves ok artists. If it's worth the effort, I can slap together a
-->quick poll script (I actually have a couple perls that talk to an SQL dbms and
-->allow pretty easy polling)
-->

Actually sourceforge allows surveys that are failurely easy to set up...
In fact you can take one I set up as a kind of test of the concept at
http://sourceforge.net//survey/survey.php?group_id=2600&survey_id=10210

Let me know your sourceforge account eric and I'll set you up as a
kidsgames developer and you can make a survey about the graphic artist
stuff.

--
Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org