Re: [kidsgames] wordnet

Hi Paul,

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Paul Kienzle wrote:

-->Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:52:34 +0000 (GMT)
-->From: Paul Kienzle <pkienzle@kienzle.powernet.co.uk>
-->To: kidsgames@smluc.org
-->Subject: [kidsgames] wordnet
-->
-->
-->I don't recall if WordNet has been mentioned here before, but I use it
-->as my primary dictionary -- it is that complete.

Haven't seen it if it has...

-->  The great thing about
-->it is that it is crosslinked to death, and includes not only synonyms
-->and antonyms, but also part-whole categorizations and a whole host of
-->other things.  If you want a machine readable semantic network for the
-->English language, then this is it:
-->	http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/w3wn.html
-->Or you can install the dict-wn package from your Debian distribution.
-->

dict-wn...8.5 M download.... 1hour+ download, hope it's worth it....

Now how do I use this thing?

-->Here is the copyright notice:
-->
-->	This software and database is being provided to you, the
-->	LICENSEE, by Princeton University under the following license.
-->	By obtaining, using and/or copying this software and database,
-->	you agree that you have read, understood, and will comply with
-->	these terms and conditions.:
-->
-->	Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and
-->	database and its documentation for any purpose and without fee
-->	or royalty is hereby granted, provided that you agree to comply
-->	with the following copyright notice and statements, including
-->	the disclaimer, and that the same appear on ALL copies of the
-->	software, database and documentation, including modifications
-->	that you make for internal use or for distribution.
-->

I think this passes the DFSG, but we should probably ask some experts
maybe Eric Raymond at OSI and the debian people (what is that mailing
list), and perhaps Richard Stallman at gnu.org.

-->	WordNet 1.6 Copyright 1997 by Princeton University.  All rights
-->	reserved.
-->
-->	THIS SOFTWARE AND DATABASE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND PRINCETON
-->	UNIVERSITY MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS
-->	OR IMPLIED.  BY WAY OF EXAMPLE, BUT NOT LIMITATION, PRINCETON
-->	UNIVERSITY MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-
-->	ABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT THE USE OF
-->	THE LICENSED SOFTWARE, DATABASE OR DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT INFRINGE
-->	ANY THIRD PARTY PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, TRADEMARKS OR OTHER RIGHTS.
-->
-->	The name of Princeton University or Princeton may not be used
-->	in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
-->	software And/or database.  Title to copyright in this software,
-->	database and any associated documentation shall at all times
-->	remain with Princeton University and LICENSEE agrees to preserve
-->	same.
-->
-->There is also a EuroWordNet project (http://www.hum.uva.nl/~ewn/)
-->which takes this framework and adds a bunch of other languages
-->(Dutch, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Czech and Estonian),
-->but charges a hefty fee.  Might be worth it if I were still
-->doing translation.  I notice they have freely available samples at
-->http://www.hum.uva.nl/~ewn/data/sampleData.html.  The particularly
-->tempting one is:
-->
-->	ili.zip (20.4MB) The Inter-Lingual-Index for matching
-->                         synsets across wordnets.
-->
-->Sure sounds like this might be a multilingual dictionary.  Anyone have
-->access to a reliable fast connection, Windows 9x and some time on
-->their hands to see if this is really what I hope it is?
-->

no on all three counts for me... sorry...

-->Their copyright doesn't explicitly prohibit or allow redistribution with
-->or without modification, but "any purpose" sure sounds like we could
-->use it:
-->
-->	This data is being provided to you, the LICENSEE, by the
-->	Universiteit van Amsterdam on behalf of the EuroWordNet
-->	Builders/Providers under the following license.  By obtaining
-->	and using this data, you agree that you have read, understood,
-->	and will comply with these terms and conditions:
-->
-->	Permission to use this data and its documentation for any
-->	purpose and without fee or royalty is hereby granted, provided
-->	that you agree to comply with the following copyright notice
-->	and statements, including the disclaimer, and that the same
-->	appear on ALL copies of the data, and documentation, including
-->	modifications that you make for internal use.
-->
-->	THIS DATA IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND the Universiteit van Amsterdam
-->	and the EuroWordNet Builders/Providers MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS
-->	OR WARRANTIES,	EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. BY WAY OF EXAMPLE, BUT
-->	NOT LIMITATION, the EuroWordNet Builders/Providers and the
-->	Universiteit van Amsterdam MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES
-->	OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT
-->	THE USE OF THE LICENSED DATA OR DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT INFRINGE
-->	ANY THIRD PARTY PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, TRADEMARKS OR OTHER RIGHTS.
-->
-->	The names of the EuroWordNet Builders/Providers or EuroWordNet
-->	may not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
-->	distribution of the data. Title to copyright in this software,
-->	database and any associated documentation shall at all times
-->	remain with the EuroWordNet Builders/Providers and the LICENSEE
-->	agrees to preserve the same.
-->
-->

Again it looks compliant to me but it's probably best to ask the
"experts".

--
Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org