OT: Computer and chip history (was: Re: [kidsgames] word familiarity)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:

> Most modern work was done BEFORE the IBM PC existed.  It's only slightly
> older than I am, I think.  When did IBM bear the PC?  Hmmm.  '67 or is
> that way too soon... I get the timelines confused....I mean motorla's
> 68000 chip was named that because it came out in 1968 right?  Or is that
> urban legend....

The IBM PC came out in 1981.  In 1967 a four-function calculator was
slightly larger than an electric typewriter (for comparison's sake).  the
68000 chip didn't come out till the early '80s.  It was an extension of
their 6800 chip, which was in turn based (if I remember correctly) on the
Mostek 6502 that powered the Apple ][.

--
Doug Loss            There's no trick to being a humorist
dloss@suscom.net     when you have the whole government

-