Re: SEUL/edu and kidsgames (was Re: [kidsgames] Typing/ReadingTutors)

Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:

> I believe that CVS allows for importing other CVS trees...

Yes, it does.

> so that when we DO get sourceforge to have stuff in the cvs tree
> links can be made such that somebody visiting the SEUL.edu site
> won't have to become a sourceforge user in order to browse/download
> source from the cvs.

I believe SourceForge permits anonymous CVS checkout.
You certainly don't have to be a registered developer on a
particular project in order to grab a CVS snapshot of it...
although you *might* have to have a SourceForge account, I
don't think that's the case.

However, CVS snapshots are rarely appropriate for people who
are not active developers of a project.  The state of the CVS
version of a package is often a total mess because you are
seeing literally TODAY's snapshot of the contributors thought
processes.  Very often the current snapshot won't compile or
will core dump or whatever.  Even if a CVS dump does appear to
work, if you find a problem, you can't ask the authors to fix
it because there is no single version number you can refer to
and by the time you report a problem, the CVS archive will have
changed.

Non-developers should always download the latest RELEASED
version of these packages.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker