Re: SEUL/edu and kidsgames (was Re: [kidsgames] Typing/ReadingTutors)

Hi Steve,

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Steve Baker wrote:

-->Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:58:01 -0600
-->From: Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
-->To: kidsgames@smluc.org
-->Subject: Re: SEUL/edu and kidsgames (was Re: [kidsgames]
    Typing/ReadingTutors)
-->
-->Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:
-->
-->> I believe that CVS allows for importing other CVS trees...
-->
-->Yes, it does.
-->
-->> so that when we DO get sourceforge to have stuff in the cvs tree
-->> links can be made such that somebody visiting the SEUL.edu site
-->> won't have to become a sourceforge user in order to browse/download
-->> source from the cvs.
-->
-->I believe SourceForge permits anonymous CVS checkout.
-->You certainly don't have to be a registered developer on a
-->particular project in order to grab a CVS snapshot of it...
-->although you *might* have to have a SourceForge account, I
-->don't think that's the case.
-->

good.

-->However, CVS snapshots are rarely appropriate for people who
-->are not active developers of a project.

agreed, but can't one of the files in the cvs be the latest stable
binary/source release in the various package formats (.deb, .rpm, .tar.gz,
etc.)  And this *could* be set up to be grab automatically be freshmeat,
linuxapps, or what have you could it not?

-->  The state of the CVS
-->version of a package is often a total mess because you are
-->seeing literally TODAY's snapshot of the contributors thought
-->processes.

Yes if you grab the source portion of the CVS,  I think that it makes
sense to put the release Packages in CVS as well.

-->  Very often the current snapshot won't compile or
-->will core dump or whatever.  Even if a CVS dump does appear to
-->work, if you find a problem, you can't ask the authors to fix
-->it because there is no single version number you can refer to
-->and by the time you report a problem, the CVS archive will have
-->changed.
-->

That is correct.

-->Non-developers should always download the latest RELEASED
-->version of these packages.
-->
-->

See above comment reqarding that.