Re: [kidsgames] first_math

Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:

> -->* We could be a site containing pointers to games (with
> -->  reviews, advice to parents and such like) would be a useful
> -->  service (something akin to http://happypenguin.org - but
> -->  with a focus on kids games).
>
> I see that as what linuxforkids is trying to do.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
> That of course doesn't mean kidsgames could not do that, but I think it
> would be unnecessary.

I wasn't aware of the Linuxforkids site - and I agree that it is
a pretty close concept to HappyPenguin - but for kids.

I think the reviews it gives (with only an 'A' or 'B' rating...that I could
see) could use some improvement.  HappyPenguin allows users to rate the games,
so there is no bias from a single reviewer - and it has ratings from one
to five stars.

But still, there is no reason for kidsgames to set up in competition.

So, if we agree that Kidsgames should not be an 'umbrella' site for
kids games development - because we all can go and get individual sourceforge
or SUEL accounts.  And since it looks like LinuxforKids pretty much has
the "links to games and reviews" thing sewn up - then the missing link is
(IMHO) the "resources for developers" area.  Things like the words database
and links to development kits.

> -->* Being a site with resources for games developers (like
> -->  the mega-word-list database) would be useful too.
> -->
>
> I think that's where I want kidsgames to go, what does everyone else want.
>
> But not just for developer's, I want to bring the artist's to, so that
> they can contribute the artwork, whether aural or visual that are
> developer's can incorporate into the games that are our future.  And the
> educator's to bring the artwork and the applications together.

Yes. I agree.

> constructive critism is always welcome but I don't really want to spend
> *my* time writing "reviews", I want to get more games out the door.

Right.  And I think games reviews can best be done (in the Internet age)
by letting users post their reviews and use a simple rating system.

> -->Developers and reviewers should be different people,
> -->so kidsgames needs to be EITHER a collect-and-review
> -->site OR a developers resource/forum.  It can't be
> -->both IMHO.
> -->
>
> That seems like a reasonable split.  Which do we want to be?  As a
> developer :) I vote for the latter....

Ditto.

> -->Perhaps this is where the split should be between
> -->kidsgames and SEUL/edu?
> -->
> -->
>
> I think the split between kidsgames and seul/edu is more subtle and they
> should perhaps be merged....
>
> It seems that seul/edu is based on more "formal" educational ideas then
> what kidsgames is based on, from what I know at this time.

Hmmm - that's interesting.  I havn't subscribed to SEUL/edu - but I wonder
if that's enough of a division to justify the existance of two groups?

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker

-