Re: OT: Computer and chip history (was: Re: [kidsgames] word familiarity)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Steve Baker wrote:

> Arguably, the first PORTABLE calculator was built by TI in 1971 (and it
> weighed 2.5lbs). I'd have guessed that in 1967, a four function
> electronic
> calculator would have been impossible - using only transistor technology
> ....but I could be wrong about that.

My last post on the subject.  I used such a calculator back in high school
(which would have been around '67).  It used nixie tubes as its display
(remember those?).  I don't know if it was made completely of discrete
components; ICs had been around since the early '60s, and I know there were
logic gates, adders, and such around back then.  No MPUs (microprocessing
units for those of you who are still being licked into adult form), but
primitive logic circuitry.  BTW, the calc I played with was made by H-P I
think, so they might have some info on it on one of their websites.

--
Doug Loss            There's no trick to being a humorist
dloss@suscom.net     when you have the whole government

-