Re: [kidsgames] lum, mek, xem

Paul Kienzle wrote:

> I played with XXX=lum, mek, and xem from
>         http://www.linux-france.org/prj/XXX/index.html
>
> They perform as advertised, providing simulations for optics,
> mechanics and chemistry respectively.
>
> As with other simulators (e.g., lightspeed), they do not make for
> compelling games.

<snip>

> For our list, we should be discussing how to embed the knowledge needed
> for the simulation into a play environment.

A classic example of how to 'subtly' embed some education into a game
would be "The Penguin Machine" - which needs some simple dynamics math
to make it work.  The game(s) that program is based on: "The Incredible
Machine" and "The Incredible Toon Machine" are frustratingly INCORRECT
in several aspects of dynamics.

Perhaps the way to use the simulations in the three packages you mention
would be to repackage them as problem solving games.  eg Here are six
chemicals - make something blue out of them.  Here is a couple of lenses,
some mirrors, a slit, a white light source and a prism - shine green light
on this spot to complete the level.

The advantage is that there is no tedious courseware for kids to wade through,
they learn that Acid+Litmus doesn't get them the colour they want, neither
does Acid+Base or Acid+Base+Litmus.  Only Base+Litmus makes Blue.  Once they
learn which combinations make which colours, that can be subtly reinforced
in more complex levels.

> So many ideas, so little time.

Yep - you don't have to tell ME that!

--