Re: [kidsgames] Kidsgames

Hello, I know it's an old message, older than I'd like but I'm responding
to it anyway....

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Norbert de Jonge wrote:

-->Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:48:16 +0000
-->From: Norbert de Jonge <ndejonge@telebyte.nl>
-->To: kidsgames@smluc.org
-->Subject: [kidsgames] Kidsgames
-->
-->Hi folks,
-->
-->Hmmm... the CVS repository is still to be announced,

VA didn't follow through, BUT I assume they just want me to register at
sourceforge.org since that is where they are hosting all kinds of
projects.

If anybody has time to work out the source forge details for this project,
it would be greatly appreciated.  If we get enough code together soon this
will be very important.  At the moment the code existing is spread
through many packages and we will have to work out with each author
whether they WANT their stuff included directly as pointers to or just how
that code will be handled.  For new stuff we will have to work out exactly
what we want to go in what categories and how tightly the system will be
bundled together, etc. etc.

--> the Faq-O-Matic
-->answers barely any questions,

As I stated before, anybody can added BOTH QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS to the
faq-o-matic.  I don't know what all the questions are so I can't answer
them properly....

--> in the mailinglist archives I find nothing
-->but amusing stories and most 'educational' games I found on the web are
-->just funny, not informative.

This is why we are discussing this, please inform us of what you would
find to be a REALLY educational (and hopefully fun) game, and how you
would like it to work, both from your perspective and that of the pupils
using it.

--> There are some programs that are quite nice
-->(like letters - http://www.netidea.com/~captain/lln/), but I'm sure we
-->can do better!
-->

Have you informed the other of this program about our project and invited
him to join us, so WE can work TOGETHER on this?  If you don't want to
take that step I am certainly willing to after I've at least taken a
look at this package, which I have unfortunately not had the good
fortune to attempt yet.  We obviously need all the help we can get and
anybody who has already demonstarted both interest and ability should be
encouraged to join us.

-->I want to make an educational (GTK/Gnome) game for children (between
-->1-10 years) that runs on Linux (only).

OK.  Personally I don't want to limit it to linux only, but you MAY CHOOSE
any limits you wish if you code it :)

--> I already made some games (gtkgo
-->and UNFAIR, see freshmeat.net), but even though the idea of most 'Linux
-->for kids'-pages is good, the whole concept could be much easier (and
-->better).
-->

Explain how you would make the "whole concept" "much easier" "and better".
I'm not flaming you, I REALLY want to KNOW.....  These ideas are hard to
communicate for some of us, even when what we want is CRYSTAL CLEAR in our
minds eye, ears, nose, or which sensory organ you favor.

-->There are very much people who'd like to code something nice for Linux
-->and there are a lot of people who have idea's for educational games...
-->we should bring these people together, that's all.

OK, HOW?

--> We need a page with
-->idea's and a page with people who'd like to code these educational
-->programs on Linux.

This can easily be done with the faq-o-matic as far as I understand the
thing.  Just put up a question with the idea and let some else put up the
answer or answers to it.

-->Can this be done @smluc.org? This would be nice...
-->then I can start working too :)
-->

Yes, it can and if what I suggest above is somehow unsatisfactory or
incomplete let me know HOW to facilitate what you want.

-->Greetings, Norbert de Jonge
-->

Thanks for your message Norbert and I offer my sincerest apologies on the
time it's taken me to respond, I won't bore you with the details of my
life that have made this delay happen.

Sincerely,

Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org

PS.  I for one could really use some kind of primer on using gtk, either
pointers to good one's already out there, or one created for this specific
project.  Are you the guy for this task?

-
kidgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe" in the
body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org