RE: [kidsgames] word familiarity

There are several suggestions I would make structuring the database like a
tree, so that words that are easily classified  nouns, verbs and so forth
are seperated, it help make games like the adlibs games we used to play.  I
think this may make it easier to connect language trees and therefore words,
although grammatically languages are different the words maybe similar
enough that the thesaurus function could be multilingual.  As for the age
range perhaps there should simply be a couple of undefined fields for later
expansion, I think familiarity comes with use and the words we use most in
speaking are the one we learn most readily so if we were to always talk at
the lowest level to each other we would never get beyond the elementary
words.  I do think that a mastery concept is at work and once we know
something we move on, so its a matter of pace and exposure not objective
level.  I would hesistate to age group words I know adults that would
benefit from this project and I wouldn't want to set them off by saying "you
should know that already" and god knows it works that way with children too,
let's think about benefitting all ages even ourselves.  Another field you
might consider including is a paradigm field, I know that the word is
sometimes over used but bear with me.  By paradigm what I mean is blastocyst
would belong to the biology paradigm it is used mainly in that realm of
communication and not very many others, but there could be distinct realms
for some words and others may fall into a general realm main stream words
may fall into that realm and others as well, by creating this sort of
classification we also lend ourselves to the tree structure for concepts in
addition to the tree structure for word usage, having this tree structure
running in several ways will ultimately lend to the database being used in
many different way than we can now imagine, and I can imagine quite a few.
Build the structure strong now and we will change it less as it matures.  An
origin field may be useful as well such as the origin of the word Friday, it
comes from old english as Frigg's day. Frigg was Odin's wife the goddess of
the heaven's and love, by having an origin field you can get to the roots of
a word and sometimes the origin is just as interesting as the meaning, this
field would let experts link words that relate to each other and perhaps let
them enhance the database with their professional knowledge as we aren't
linguists, well maybe there are a few out there.  I will keep in touch if
you have something started post it or forward it to me and I'll see how I
can help.  If some one has a suggestion for the most versatile database
method, open format, please get it to us.

-