Re: [kidsgames] Equipment Survey

Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:

>                 What I have Now
>                 _______________

I have four (working :-) computers in my house.

  batcave:
    AMD K6 450MHz, 64Mb RAM
    2x 20Gb HD - both for SuSE Linux 6.4
    8x CDROM
    4x CDR drive. (SCSI)
    nVidia GeForce-256 GTX
    UMAX Astra 610 Scanner (SCSI)
    Canon BJC 7004 colour printer.
    Ensoniq sound card.
    Two axis + 6 button analog joypad.
    10baseT LAN card.
    Ergonomic keyboard

  waynemanor:
    AMD K6-2 266MHz 32Mb RAM
    2x 10Gb HD - both for SuSE Linux 6.4
    48x CDROM
    3Dfx Voodoo-3 2000
    Ensoniq sound card.
    Two axis + 6 button analog joypad
    Two axis + 2 button analog joystick
    10baseT LAN card.
    Ergonomic keyboard.

  batmobile:
    An aging 75MHz Pentium laptop with 32Mb RAM
    Docking station containing 6x CDROM and 10baseT LAN card.
    6Gb HD - SuSE Linux 6.4

  gothamcity:
    Our trusty household internet gateway who lives in the Garage!
    An *ANCIENT* 486 running at 100MHz with 8Mb RAM
    2x 1Gb HD - slakware 2.0.36 Linux
    (No keyboard, no graphics, no sound)
    56Kb no-name Modem

We have 10baseT cables running into pretty much every room in the
house with a small 10baseT hub sitting next to 'gothamcity'.

...as you can see, we are a windoze-free home.  I don't use windoze
at work either - so I can plead ignorance on any topic like that!

>         What I am attempting to use it for related to this project
>         __________________________________________________________

I develop OpenSourced 3D games that are 100% suitable for kids - although
not necessarily educational.  Tux: A Quest for Herring and TuxKart are
both mine.

I also develop and support the PLIB library that provides important services
for games written in C++ and OpenGL - such as sound, scene graph, 3D and image
file loading, fonts, GUI, joystick, etc...all in a manner that is 100% portable
between all modern operating systems (Linux, Windoze, BeOS, MacOS, *BSD, Solaris,
IRIX, etc).

I've also contributed to TuxRacer and FlightGear - and I'm currently working
on PrettyPoly - a 3D modeller for Linux.

>                 What I would like to have
>                 _________________________

MORE!  FASTER!  BIGGER!

(OK - seriously - I have to stay abreast of the current typical gamers
machine - and also what such people had (say) a couple of years ago and
havn't yet upgraded).

Quite often people donate hardware to me.  My G200 and my nVidia GeForce
were both donations that came as a direct result of my Tux_AQFH game. I
get free SuSE Linux releases for life because they package my games on
their CD's.

>         What I would do with the new equipment
>         ______________________________________

MORE!  FASTER!  BIGGER!

Right now, my son is getting seriously into building 3D models for my
games - and his abilities are now strong enough to be of 'production
quality' for the kinds of things I do.  His 266MHz CPU and Voodoo-3
are a little crippled for doing game modelling work.  Usable - but
not *great*.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>