Re: [kidsgames] Generic adventure game engine

Doug Loss wrote:

> Kirk Ismay wrote:
>
> > I know of a development tool that would do the job, no one has written a
> > game engine in it, though.
> > Its called Entity, and has most features that you are looking for:
> >
> > [snipped description]
> >
> > The project web site is at:
> > http://entity.evilplan.org/
>
> I think it looks pretty good, Kirk!  What about things like SDL, Clanlib, or
> Plib?  Would it be difficult to fit calls to them into Entity, do you think?

The trick to would be to write a 'renderer' for these libraries. A
renderer is simply a set of C functions that provide callbacks to the
XML parser, using XML the tags & attributes to generate a
window/image/whatever on the screen.

There are some pretty complex renderers that do IO for example. I think
someone had one that did some cool OpenGL stuff.

It largely depends on how well the Clanlib API, for example, can be
represented as XML in some fashion. I don't really know much about any
of these to really comment on how easily it could be done.

--
Sincerely, Kirk Ismay