Re: [kidsgames] Generic adventure game engine

Jan Hlavacek wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 09:56:42AM -0700, Terry Hancock wrote:
> > jm wrote:
> > Humongous Entertainment games

> OT:  did you ever have any luck running them under Wine?  I found out
> that some of them work, but the colors are all messed up.  But my
> Wine is quite ancient, which could be good if I wanted to drink it.

I tried running one of the Pajama Sam games with the "standard"
Wine in the Debian 2.1 distribution: "wine_0.0.981018-1.1.deb".

Although (surprisingly to me) the sound worked perfectly, there
was no video at all once the game started (but the splash screen
worked).  There was a string of error messages about an unsupported
palette-change command.  I have downloaded a 2000 version of
Wine as source, but I haven't gotten around to compiling my
stack of downloaded source distributions (this is a bad habit
of mine, I know).

About the sound, I'm using ALSA 0.4.1e (which is getting kind
of old, but seems to work very well, nevertheless).

My X display is set to either a 16 or 24 bit display (I think
it's 24, but I'd have to check, and offhand, I can't remember
how to do that). So that might have something to do with the
problem.

Obviously, I'm hoping to try again after I get the later version
of Wine installed.

> (actually two of them) from DOS, zzt and megazeux.  They are sort of
>    [...]
> I think that these two engines provide some sort of proof that such kind
> of engine caold be quite useful. They also show that even though the
> engine may be quite limited in order to be simple tu use, these
> limitations may not necesarily be bad.
>
> If you don't know these games, check them out at www.zzt.org and
> www.megazeus.org.
>
> --
> Jan Hlavacek                                            (219) 434-7566
> Department of Chemistry                               Jhlavacek@sf.edu
> University of Saint Francis               http://www.sf.edu/Jhlavacek/

Thanks for the references.

--