Re: Re: [kidsgames] Re: the younger set

Another message bounced to private mail..

Quoting Doug Loss <dloss@csrlink.net>:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Rob wrote:
> > Here are some links for the HUGO engine (which is supposed to have a
> Linux
> > port).
> > www.generalcoffee.com
> > Here is the slashdot article with tons of links and comments.
> > www.slashdot.org/article.pl?99/09/12/1416203&mode=thread
> > Here is a link to a zine about IF (interactive fiction).
> > www.xyzzynews.com
>
> I stand corrected.  HUGO looks to be very respectable on Linux.

Does HUGO put out Z-code?  Z (the system devised by Infocom for their
InfoLogic games back in the 80's) is pretty much the closest thing there is
these days to an open standard for interactive fiction.

Though it isn't GPL, "Inform" is an excellent compiler for Z-code, and it's
very happy running on Linux.  And the final compiled code is not license-bound
to Inform; no one is claiming a patent on compiled Z-code.

Just my $0.02.

http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/inform.html

Rob

-