Re: [kidsgames] Re: the younger set

aleris@iag.net wrote:

> Does HUGO put out Z-code?  Z (the system devised by Infocom for their
> InfoLogic games back in the 80's) is pretty much the closest thing there is
> these days to an open standard for interactive fiction.
>
> Though it isn't GPL, "Inform" is an excellent compiler for Z-code, and it's
> very happy running on Linux.  And the final compiled code is not license-bound
> to Inform; no one is claiming a patent on compiled Z-code.

No, HUGO and TADS <http://www.tela.bc.ca/tela/tads/> don't put out
Z-code, but their data formats are evidently close enough that there are
converters available.  I just looked at TADS, and it has a new data
format called HTML TADS that looks like just the thing for the "create
your own adventure" stories.  The only problem I see is that the only
Linux TADS interpreter is text only; HTML TADS is supported by Windows
and (maybe) Mac only.  If someone were to write an HTML TADS interpreter
for Linux, this might be a major candidate for one of our engines.  Does
anyone want to look into it?

-