[kidsgames] Ropher the Golpher

Hello,

I've been disgussing games with my daughther Clare, and here is what she,
with a little help from Mom, her brother, and me has come up with.

First she created the character Ropher the Golpher, Ropher is a grocery
store owner.  We haven't managed to draw Ropher up yet, but he is all
brown, with dog floppy ears and a piglike nose.  (I'm having a little
trouble imagining this one ;)

So the game to go along with the Ropher is a math/matching  game.  There
are at least two different sections of the game, there is the checkout
counter, and the isles where you gather your items.

This is a do it yourself grocery store where you are given a list and have
to find your items.  After you locate your items you take them to the
check out and you have to add up the values for all the items.

You can pick your own character when you come into the store, because
we've been explaining about the Linux mascot Tux the penguin and she knows
that some people will be more interested in using penguins then in using
"gophers".

My wife came up with the idea that you could also take on different roles
in the store, so that instead of the player doing both the matching part
and the checkout part, a different player would choose to be the checkout
while the first player is the stock person, and another is the shopper.
These ideas seem to scale well...

My daughter is very excited about being part of this process and so am I.

Comments welcome.

Sincerely,

Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org