[kidsgames] Multiple Inteligences/SDK (fwd)

Forwarding at Brian's request.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:16:48 -0400
From: Brian & Carrie Thompson <cbthomp@earthlink.net>
To: Jeffery Douglas Waddell <jeff@smluc.org>
Subject: Multiple Inteligences/SDK

Dear Jeff,

> >  I think perhaps the AI
> > aspect and means of representing the knowledge/experiences in
> the software to all of the 7 intelligences (Howard Gardners work) should
be the first
> > milestone/discussion.
>
> I'm unfamiliar with this work, will you elabarote/summarize for me so I
> can understand what you are referring to?

  Howard Gardners book Multiple Intelligences outlines the ideas that we do
not all learn the same things the same ways, that we have different
aptitudes for learning in different areas.  He isolates the areas in which
there are distinctive learning patterns/abilities.  He seperates them
thus:Musical Intelligence, Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence, Linguistic
Intelligence, Spatial Intelligence, Interpersonal Intelligence, and
Intrapersonal Intelligence.  Although with a computer software it is
difficult to cater to those who will excel at the Bodily-Kinesthetic
Intelligence I think it would be possible with some though to develope
software that will develop childrens and perhaps even adults abilities in
all of these areas.  Adults especially are important because it is we who
reinforce what the children learn everyday, either positive or negative.  We
are the everyday heroes and examples that our children live by and look up
too.  If we have an adult section of the software they will learn what the
children are learning and also learn good methods of reiforcement, part of
the reason a SDK is so important.  I do think that it is a possibility that
parents will leave their children in front of the computer almost as a
substitute for the TV, but not spend much time with their children actually
learning what they are doing and thus not reinforcing what the children
learn.  Children lose interest in a lot of what they do because their
parents aren't really interested, example  'What did you do at school
today?'  'nothing'  Your child just told you they don't think you really
care.  Or what they learned isn't reinforced and integrated in to their
everyday life enough to be cared about.  Children don't develope the
abstract, 'this will help me out later', idea until it is later in their
education.  They begin learning from doing and from using those learned
skills in a practical way.  That is why the parents must be included in the
software and areas of learning developed for the parents as well, Practical
Parenting ideas on ways to involve yourself in your childs education and
growth.  Knowledge, personal interaction, good health all need to be
included for a well rounded educational software.

> > Develop the Educational SDK and then people can
> > develop their own educational software for the subjects in
> which they are
> > experts and if it is a good enough SDK the knowledge can be
> added modular
> > style for tailoring the education to the direction necessary.
>
> hmm, for now I'm concentrating on the KGB (Kids Game Builder), although we
> may find that we need the SDK of which you speak simply to do the KGB, it
> will depend on several things.

If you build the SDK you could develope the software so that it is modular
with essentially the same interface, but so that you can just chage the
modules.  Think of 'Blues Clues' it is essentially the same every show, but
they just drop in a different module. One for music or one for stories or
for science.  It is the familiarity that makes it easier for kids to learn
what they will from this type of repetition.  I am not saying we have to be
as limited in content as any childrens show but if you add a module it can
have different characters, but the way the animation and music and voices
are used will be essentially the same.  All that you need to do is make a
standard tree type of format for the voice to animation and play the right
sounds with the right scene, essentially an SDK type of idea.

												 Sincerely,
												 Brian Thompson

-
kidgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe" in the