FW: [kidsgames] word familiarity

We could start by filing all of the words not commonly used in an 'uncommon'
list.  Then on a 'common' list we could classify them. How about noun verb
adjective.  And for nouns we use animal vegetable mineral.  For verb active
and passive.  And so forth.  Is there a structure?  I haven't had time to
download it.  For the words we could use a general/specific tree where
animal->dog->schnauzer and note the positions in the tree by a
limb/branch/leaf classification.  We could then snip off the words beyond a
certain point depending on the age.  Kids learn dog before they learn animal
or schnauzer because of the specificity, not having experienced it, or the
difficulty of pronunciation.  I am certain there is a general rule they use
for developing cirricullum for the classroom perhaps someone, E. D. Hirsch
comes to mind, has made up a list by age group we could use as a guide for
developing the structure/trimming.

common->noun-------------------------->animal------>mammal----->dog---->schn
auzer
	  verb----------------->passive  vegetable    avian       cat
        adjective->positive   active   mineral      marsupial   human
			 neutral  		   locale
 			 negative
	  adverb
	  conjunction
and so forth......

uncommon would have the same structure...  but it would not be as important
to clarify first so we could just leave them as a list.  The interesting
thing with the structure is that it could give each meaning a code
regardless of language and therefore the same structure could be use in any
language as long as the translation is good.  The struture would not lend
itself to random sentence building for education-- a nonsense sentence
builder (kind of like the old Adlibs games)-- because different languages
use different grammatical structure, but eventually that could be figured
out too.

															Brian Thompson

-