Re: [kidsgames] Re: GUIs und kinder

Hi Doug,

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Doug Loss wrote:

> thudson@cygnus.com wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone given any thought to programming languages or
> > environments. Seems like it would be nice to provide
> > some time of framework/language/visual design environment
> > so that non-programmers could develop content. I'm not
> > that familiar with the Mac, but I've heard that Hyperstack
> > was like this.
>
> Over on seul-edu we've been discussing this for some time.  Currently
> the product most used on the Mac (I'm told) for this sort of thing,
> which we're calling an authoring tool, is HyperStudio.  It's a
> commercial program, from MacroMedia (I think).  There isn't currently
> anything terribly similar to it for Linux.  We found two possible ways
> to address this need.  First, there's MetaCard
> <http://www.metacard.com>, a commercial program that can read HyperCard
> stacks and can generate its own content.  MetaCard has reasonable
> licensing costs for educational use.  The MetaCard people have told us
> that the educational community isn't their primary market focus and that
> they'll consider making a "lite" version of their product available for
> free download for educational use.  They also think that making a
> HyperStudio-like interface to MetaCard should be fairly simple, although
> they don't plan to invest any effort in doing so.

Development tools must be free, so the applications can have choice.  It
looks like neither of the above are freed development tools.  I spent some
time today looking for hypercard specs, with the vague notion of
implementing a gpl'ed hypercard stack renderer for linux, however that
didn't get me anywhere.  I suppose with Apple's new "Open Source" bent
(Darwin, etc.) we could mount a petition for them to free the
specifications of the language so we could implement our own renderer.  If
we managed that, we would bring a HUGE amount of already developed teacher
resources into the fold.

> Then, there's Squeak <http://www.squeak.org>, an implementation of
> SmallTalk.  It is being designed by Alan Kay's development group at
> Disney Imagineering.  One of their design goals is to have a user
> interface that can be expanded, so that it can be made appropriate for
> everyone from small children to experienced programmers.  One of the
> members of seul-edu is going to go down to Disney in November to meet
> with the Squeak team to find out how seul-edu can help in the
> development of Squeak as an authoring tool for Linux.

What kind of licensing will Disney place on this?

> That's about all I know of at this time.

Thanks for sharing

Jeff
jeff@smluc.org

-