Re: New member

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Doug Loss wrote:

> thudson@cygnus.com wrote:
> >
> > I've watched my children learn to use the computer, and seen
> > the effectiveness of programs like Reader Rabbit. I think
> > that some elements of the current state of GUIs are not
> > well suited to new users and children. Things like
> > double-clicks, etc. I've often thought of a complete
> > desktop environment geared more towards children.
> >
> > I dream of a complete framework and desktop for educational
> > apps, that would take advantage of the multiuser capabilities
> > of linux, such that each child's account would record their
> > progress for review by the parent or teacher. Also the advantage
> > of being X windows based means that cheap obsolete hardware
> > could be used as X terminals, saving more powerful hardware
> > for central file/application servers.
> >
> I'm a little hesitant to mention this, since it might seem a bit
> self-serving, but I think it would be interesting for those on this
> mailing list to take a look at <http://www.seul.org/edu/>.

It is self serving, but we'll let it slide ;)

>  This is the
> educational section of SEUL (Simple End-User Linux).  It's been around
> since November of last year, and is currently working toward getting
> Linux more used in the classroom.  Take a look at the software page and
> the projects page, and browse through the email archive.  And consider
> joining the seul-edu mailing list in addition to this one by filling out
> the form on the first page.

I'm on it thank you Doug.  I've also cross posted to that list about this
project.  Perhaps some cross pollination will do us all good.

> We've discussed all of the topics mentioned above and are actively
> working on some of them.

Great!

>  We always welcome new input and ideas.  I
> don't know Jeff's plans for this mailing list, but it seems to me that
> we could have the best of both worlds if this list were to concentrate
> on the development of "edutainment" software for Linux (an area of
> special interest for me, but not the immediate focus of seul-edu) and if
> the more general educational uses of Linux discussions took place on
> seul-edu.

Don't know if we can keep the discussions separate or not, also we may not
want to as there is really not much reason for the "edutainment" to be
different from the classroom based applications.  I.E. the software should
scale from 1 user to 1000's of user's with no difficulties.

> If that's not what people want to do that's OK with me; I'm
> on both lists.  It just seems like a good use of the resources.

Don't mind either way myself, as I am also on both lists now.

Thanks for the input Doug

Sincerely,

Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org