Re: New member

thudson@cygnus.com wrote:

> I've watched my children learn to use the computer, and seen
> the effectiveness of programs like Reader Rabbit. I think
> that some elements of the current state of GUIs are not
> well suited to new users and children. Things like
> double-clicks, etc. I've often thought of a complete
> desktop environment geared more towards children.
>
> I dream of a complete framework and desktop for educational
> apps, that would take advantage of the multiuser capabilities
> of linux, such that each child's account would record their
> progress for review by the parent or teacher. Also the advantage
> of being X windows based means that cheap obsolete hardware
> could be used as X terminals, saving more powerful hardware
> for central file/application servers.

I'm a little hesitant to mention this, since it might seem a bit
self-serving, but I think it would be interesting for those on this
mailing list to take a look at <http://www.seul.org/edu/>.  This is the
educational section of SEUL (Simple End-User Linux).  It's been around
since November of last year, and is currently working toward getting
Linux more used in the classroom.  Take a look at the software page and
the projects page, and browse through the email archive.  And consider
joining the seul-edu mailing list in addition to this one by filling out
the form on the first page.

We've discussed all of the topics mentioned above and are actively
working on some of them.  We always welcome new input and ideas.  I
don't know Jeff's plans for this mailing list, but it seems to me that
we could have the best of both worlds if this list were to concentrate
on the development of "edutainment" software for Linux (an area of
special interest for me, but not the immediate focus of seul-edu) and if
the more general educational uses of Linux discussions took place on
seul-edu.  If that's not what people want to do that's OK with me; I'm
on both lists.  It just seems like a good use of the resources.