Re: Article on LinuxToday

Hello Chris,

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Chris Ellec wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I signed up on this list after the article on LinuxToday.  I
> concur totally with Jeff regarding the situation of kids
> software.

Thank you.

> I do volunteer work for the local elementary school where my wife
> teaches, helping setup the computers. Most of them are 486 with
> Win3.1, or even DOS, and a few newer one with Win95.  The problem
> is two folds :
>     - too many different systems
>     - too expensive to buy software for all their computers

Linux file servers ;)

> I have been thinking of converting their systems to Linux, which
> could solve both problems. Unfortunately, software for kids on
> Linux is virtually inexistent, so this great project is going
> nowhere right now.

Dosemu and Wine can do wonders, but you will have to test EACH individual
software package.

> After a few months of searching and finding very little, I
> decided to take the mater in my own hands. I have started (and am
> paying for ...) a LinuxForKids.com web site.

Great!  Can we mirror easily?  Or would a link be better.  I like where
the website is right now for 1 reason (I have root on the box ;)

> I am really glad to
> see somebody just as frustrated as I am with this matter. I would
> like this site to be a central place where I would list all the
> available software and any references I can find.  What I am
> mostly interested in, is first through third grade level material
> (children 5-8 years old), as those are the grades my wife
> teaches.

We will be working on these first I think.  Baseline requires basics first
and then the higher level first.

> Since I can also program, I want to contribute and write some
> software too, as time permits. Things like spelling or math
> games.

Great!

>  Although I'm not an artist, so I'll need somebody to come
> up with some cute Tux animation !

Actually Tux is great.  Any animation gurus out there?

> I was planning on an official launch of the web site on October
> 1st, I would be glad to include any references that Jeff or other
> people would like to contribute.

http://www.smluc.org/SIA/kidsgames/.  Looks like I need to move quickly to
put more content on this page.

> I haven't seen any traffic here yet, so I don't how many people
> are this list, any comments welcome.

about 25 - 30 so far.

> Chris

Sincerely,