Article on LinuxToday

Hello,

I signed up on this list after the article on LinuxToday.  I
concur totally with Jeff regarding the situation of kids
software.

I do volunteer work for the local elementary school where my wife
teaches, helping setup the computers. Most of them are 486 with
Win3.1, or even DOS, and a few newer one with Win95.  The problem
is two folds :
    - too many different systems
    - too expensive to buy software for all their computers

I have been thinking of converting their systems to Linux, which
could solve both problems. Unfortunately, software for kids on
Linux is virtually inexistent, so this great project is going
nowhere right now.

After a few months of searching and finding very little, I
decided to take the mater in my own hands. I have started (and am
paying for ...) a LinuxForKids.com web site. I am really glad to
see somebody just as frustrated as I am with this matter. I would
like this site to be a central place where I would list all the
available software and any references I can find.  What I am
mostly interested in, is first through third grade level material
(children 5-8 years old), as those are the grades my wife
teaches.

Since I can also program, I want to contribute and write some
software too, as time permits. Things like spelling or math
games.  Although I'm not an artist, so I'll need somebody to come
up with some cute Tux animation !

I was planning on an official launch of the web site on October
1st, I would be glad to include any references that Jeff or other
people would like to contribute.

I haven't seen any traffic here yet, so I don't how many people
are this list, any comments welcome.

Chris