[kidsgames] Re: [Fwd: Kids Game Builder version 0.0.1]

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Doug Loss wrote:

> I agree.  The question of i18n (internationalization) is an important
> one that we should think about going into this rather than as an
> afterthought.  After all, we're not "market driven," so we shouldn't
> ignore anyone out of hand.  If we do this right, it should be relatively
> simple to provide localization info for each culture that then
> integrates into the basic programs.

Well, content aside, internationalizing language and such is fairly easy.
Linux provides both the X/Open 'catgets' and the Uniforum 'gettext'
utilities for i18n using resource files. Either of these (I prefer
gettext myself) allow for dynamic selection of language and string
formatting (eg currency, date) at runtime, and allow for easy porting to
new languages. KDE uses xgettext, if you want a good example.

Content, at least as far as history or locale-specific information like
lists of presidents or names of capital cities, could probably be loaded
into similar resource files and selected at runtime as well.

    \|/    -segfault-
   (O O)
  ^  V  ^   "640k ought to be enough for anybody."
///( . )\\\   -- Bill Gates, when asked about DOS's 640k barrier
 ---m-m---

-
kidgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe" in the
body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org