[Libevent-users] a dead looping bug when changing system time backward

Hi all,

I found an issue that it will trigger the timer callback dramatically
like a dead looping when moving the system time backward for a year
and then moving it forward to the accurate time.
Of course, I had to change the system time for other activities then.
However, I've made a test case for each of libevent's version of
2.0.10, 2.0.12, 2.0.17, unfortunately, those tests had caused the same
issue when the system time was changed in the way I mentioned. Also,
those weren't any stress-testing methodology. I just wanted to reveal
and confirm the appearance. In addition, I did all the test on a
windows platform.

I was appreciated for the reply from Nick that I reported this issue
to.   I figured that we won't change the system time manually at the
production phase of a system for sure. But what I worry about is in a
complicated situation that a machine in work would probably be
synchronized its system time with an external standard timer. So, it
could probably cause the issue like this if the time difference is
about 3 ~ 5 seconds, especially for some sort of online game server
which needs a timer to calculate some logical procedures by elapsed
time.

Yours
Jeffrey