Re: [Libevent-users] libevent conflict on Centos6.7

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:23:45AM +0530, Akhilesh Shukla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have nfs-utils installed on system which has dependancy on libevent 1.4 ,
> now with new requirement I need to install pgbouncer1.7 which have
> depdendancy on *libevent-*2.x version. Centos 6.7 updates doesn't have the
> libevent-2.x version publish. Its only available with Centos7.
>
> Is there any support issue with libevent-2.x on version lower that Centos7
> ?

Hi Akhilesh,

Well libevent doesn't ship packages for distros.

> To resolve this I am looking for below two appraoches:
>
> 1.  Build libevent-2.x version on centos 6.7 and upgrade to libevent-2.x
> version on my system.
>
>      Do you see any issues while using libevent-2 with centos6.7 ?
>
> 2. Use libevent-1.4 and libevent-2.x in parallel by rebuilding and renaming
> libevent-2.x as
>      mylibevent-2.x.
>      It looks like the source files are different names for both libevent
> version and should not be a problem if i use both version together on by
> system.

If you will do everything correct then every should work (since
nfs-utils must be linked with *1.4* prefix of libraries, while
pgbouncer1.7 must be linekd with *2.0* prefix, so two libraries can
exist at the same time without any issues, this is not related to
headers since there can be problems, but you don't need them since you
have binaries).

And you don't need to rename anything, since libraries must have
version prefixes, only -dev package must contain symlinks from .so,
i.e.:
libevent.so -> libevent-2.1.so.1