Re: [Libevent-users] Asynchronous writes in the event loop model

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM, William Ahern
<william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 01:46:59PM -0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the standard trick:
>>
>> * designate one thread as "signals here" and block signals on all other threads;
>> * use pipes for sending signals between threads (ie, to wake them up);
>> * wish that kqueue and similar methods were portable.
>
> Do Solaris event ports support signal queueing? Edge-triggered events?

Solaris event ports don't support posix signals as far as I can tell.
(Unless by signal queueing you mean the ability to queue an event from
one thread to another on an evport. That one you *can* do, using
port_send.)

> Most threading and signaling issues are far easier to handle, in my
> experience, once you take Windows out of the equation. *BSD, Linux, and
> Solaris pretty much constitute the entire market for newer software if you
> exclude Windows.

Libevent's a portability library.  Dropping support for unpopular or
ununixlike platforms is not in the cards.  I'd like to be usable not
only for cool new software, but also for stuff like ntpclient that
needs to work on weird places like AIX and HPUX and god-knows-what.

(That's not to say I'm actively working on AIX or HPUX or IRIX, but
I'm glad to take good patches there, and I'd not want to take any
patches known to break them.)

cheers,
--
Nick