Re: [Libevent-users] BUG: libevent 1.4.14, wrong version info

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Juergen Daubert <jue@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The libraries of libevent 1.4.13 and older are versioned by
> libtool as
>
>   *-1.4.so.2.1.3
>
> whereas libevent 1.4.14 is using
>
>   *-1.4.so.1.2.3
>
> This breaks every application linked against 1.4.13 if you
> upgrade to version 1.4.14. I don't think that this is the
> desired behaviour, but a bug caused by the wrong VERSION_INFO
> string in Makefile.am. It is VERSION_INFO = 3:3:2 but should
> probably be VERSION_INFO = 3:4:1 and resulting library-names
> like *-1.4.so.2.1.4.

Ugh, how annoying!  I think this warrants a 1.4.14b, if Niels agrees.
(1.4.14b should contain this fix, and nothing else.)

Actually, I think the VERSION_INFO should be 3:4:2, since 1.4.14 is
binary compatible not only with 1 but 2 previous releases.

This raises a related question: were we right to drop the use of the
-release flag in libevent 2.0?  We took a flag from Zack Weinberg to
do so back in 2009 [1], but I'm not so sure right now.  What do people
with more libtool experience think?  Libevent is the only library I've
used with libtool.

[1] The patch and rationale are in git commit 0cc10e419c6d1bca;
non-git-users can see them here:
http://levent.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=levent/libevent;a=commit;h=de0096f4f3fa35fe961c4b0e59d85617d5aa2689

yrs,
--