Re: [Libevent-users] Question on event-test.c sample program

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Ed Day <edday2006@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 [...]
> Sounds interesting.  I am a newbie to git, so I'm wondering how I
> would access this branch?

So here's what I'd suggest.  It's no substitute for reading a proper
git tutorial, so please don't use this as a long-lived reference card
or anything. ;)

First clone the main repository.

Then, add a remote for my github, with
   git remote add nickm git://github.com/nmathewson/Libevent.git

And then fetch it with
   git fetch nickm

Now, you can read through the patches in the hybrid-loop2 branch easily with
   git log -p master..nickm/hybrid-loop2

If you want to see it as one big diff, do:
   git diff master...nickm/hybrid-loop2
   (Note: 3 dots for this one gives more useful output)

If you want to build it, then you probably don't want to build it
directly: the branch is based on an older version of libevent.
Instead, make your own new branch called "my-hybrid-loop" based on
master, then merge the hybrid-loop2 branch onto it with:
   git branch my-hybrid-loop master
   git checkout my-hybrid-loop
   git merge nickm/hybrid-loop2

Once more, I'm not at all guaranteeing that this code merges, builds,
works, or does anything useful.  It' s probably more interesting as a
starting point for more coding than as something you could use out of
the box.  Happy hacking!

> I did a clone from the main repository and tried to build it on
> Windows and found the makefile did not work.

There shouldn't even be a makefile in git.  The Makefile is generated
by "configure", which is in turn generated by autotools; to make
"configure", just re-run the autogen.sh script first.  You'll need
autoconf, automake, and libtool for that.

> The Makefile.nmake file
> in the test directory needs something like the following added:
>
> $(REGRESS_OBJS) : regress.gen.c regress.gen.h
>
> regress.gen.c regress.gen.h : regress.rpc ..\event_rpcgen.py
>        python ..\event_rpcgen.py regress.rpc

Hm.  Actually, both test/Makefile.nmake and test/Makefile.am have the
same problem that they don't do too well when python is missing on the
computer.  I've checked in what seems like a likely fix as
b031adf112e058595 : when python is missing and we need to regenerate
regress.gen.[ch], we just generate stub files and skip the rpc unit
tests.  Let me know if it breaks for you.

yrs,
--
Nick