[Libevent-users] Visual C++ Projects

Hi,

I'm new user to libevent, and quickly becoming a fan.

I'd need some way to build libevent on Windows for a project
(https://github.com/aubonbeurre/thrift/blob/alex-0.6.1/README.non.blocking.Windows).

Yesterday I spent a (frustrating) day trying to use waf (as suggested
on this list, nice tool, but not ready for primetime IMHO) and gyp
(not really meant for usage outside chromium AFAIK) to compile
libevent 2.0.12 on Windows (only).

I'm actually more a scons user, and developed over time useful snippet
to build on various platforms (win/lin/mac), but scons has some
drawbacks too.

I don't know much about cmake.

Besides it seems to me all those above are really meant for new projects.

So I'm asking something simple (I think): in order to validate
libevent usage in my company, we would need some plain M$ Visual C++
projects: it is kind of a psychological barrier to gain acceptance for
new components, that they have visible support for Windows, and does
not matter if libevent has already very good support (indeed) if it
lacks the VC projects, something like libevent/build/vcXX/libevent.sln
(xx == whatever is the latest visual studio revision).

To sum-up:

- Nowadays the Visual C++ XML format is quite clear, and anybody can
edit files manually inside the .vcproj files.
- libevent could include a libevent/build/vcXX/libevent.sln only
Debug/Release for Win32/x64 platforms (default settings)
- As a static library, since it does not really matter to get a test
suite on windows, or a nice packaging and DLL (many working still on
Windows are doing it for supporting old workflows, but real work
happen on Linux anyway)
- I *think* it allows also the free edtion (2010 Express) to compile
the library.

What do you think?

Thanks!
alex