Re: [Libevent-users] select() call overflow from libevent for different OS

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 02:05:20PM -0600, J. Scott Dorr wrote:
> Yeah, FD_SETSIZE is supposed to be informative, not a tuning parameter.

Under POSIX, yes. But some implementations allow the user to define this
macro, including OS X, OpenBSD, and Solaris. It looks like Linux/glibc
stopped allowing this--or at least stopped making it easy--from what I can
tell of the header file in Ubuntu.

It's a bad idea, of course. Though OS X allows the user to set FD_SETSIZE,
you still need other magic for the kernel to accept the larger value. And I
don't think any implementation worked sanely when different compilation
units had different definitions.

It's definitely a bad idea to rely on this capability. It looks like it's
been effectively deprecated even where it was once nominally supported.

I only mention all this so the OP could make sense of what he's apparently
seen other people improvidently do.