Re: [Libevent-users] Comparison of libevent and libuv

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 08:18:07AM +0300, Eax Melanhovich wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I apologize for a holy war question. But libevent and libuv look very
> similar --- both solve the same issue ("c10k problem"), both support
> Windows, etc. And there is a little information regarding _differences_
> of these libraries I manage to find by myself. Libevent seems to be
> more mature and widely used. Also according to this article:
>
> http://blog.kazuhooku.com/2014/09/the-reasons-why-i-stopped-using-libuv.html
>
> ... libuv has some considerable problems, e.g. lack of TLS support.
> However this article was written 1.5 years ago and some issues could be
> solved already.
>
> I wonder what was the story behind creating libuv while libevent
> already existed at that time. What problems libevent had back then (or
> probably it didn't?), were these issues solved or not, are there any
> major differences between libevent and libuv today, etc?
>
> Hope someone who has experience in this area could enlighten me.

Hello,

Sorry for a long timeout, but better later then never.

So I've never used libuv, but in that blog post guy just stopped using
library and implements it's own bindings, and if you have enough time,
do you best and work hard it can work better (but this is not always
true), because library is something generic (IOW that must work for all
it's users, not only for you), i.e. even calling function for a
specific event is overhead, plus dynamic allocations and e.t.c. And of
course it is simpler to write custom solution instead of patching
original library for your own needs.

As for libevent VS libuv comparison, I think it is better to
benchmarking both of them under your circumstances and see what you can
do if something is not as you expected, or just prefer one to another.

Plus you may take a look at https://github.com/libevent/libevent/issues/342.