RE: [Libevent-users] Multiplexing protocol using libevent

Hi Michal,

	Libevent's priorities are not likely to do what you want given this
information.  From my understanding of libevent priorities they only choose
between existing events and reorder them (basically just the priority queue
item) but they are tied to a specific fd/event pair such that there is no
prioritization possible between multiple "read" events.  I.e. there is no
way to tell libevent that one read or write is more important than another
if they associated with the same fd.  In fact, I have a feeling that the
priorities are more intended for event groups and/or timers than they are
for single fd work.

	As to the high priority traffic, remember that given a single NIC,
all network traffic is going to be linearized and there is a single
incoming/outgoing packet stream.  If you are sending a lot of data the
sendto is likely to start blocking randomly and calling sendto from multiple
threads would not respect priorities.  I think your best bet is still the
code presented and a very simple send function along the following lines:

while( running )
{
  // Note: add a semaphore to the queue to allow pop
  // to block when there are no messages.  Also add some
  // form of "exit" message so the thread can be killed cleanly.
  priority_datagram	msg	=	mStream.pop();
  uint8_t buffer[ kMaxDatagramSize ];
  memcpy( buffer, &msg.mStreamId, sizeof( int32_t ) );
  memcpy( buffer, .... data buffer );
  sendto( target, buffer, .. size of total packet .. );
}

	Of course, this still means that there is a certain amount of data
on the OS buffer which your high priority message will be scheduled to be
sent after, you have no control over that.  You "could" try adjusting the
size of the os specific buffer to reduce latency but from my experience that
can cause other problems and waste a lot of bandwidth.

	I personally would still use libevent even in a case like this since
it does not add any notable latency, is small and takes care of a bunch of
annoying OS specifics for you.  But don't use the priority system as I don't
believe that it will do anything like what you want.

KB