Re: [Libevent-users] libevhtp beginnings API

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Mark Ellzey <mthomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Mark Ellzey <mthomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Are you the copyright holder?  If so, why not stick to BSD to keep
>> things simple.
>>
>> Kevin
>
> As an FYI, Libevent already does a good job of keeping track of all
> non-BSD specific code in their LICENCE file.

> I am the owner, but the ry/http-parser is MIT. But odd thing is - it is a direct
> copy from NGINX parser; 2 Clause BSD, but re-licensed as MIT.

I'm not sure why now, after digging through your code, but I seemed to
think it was GPL which would obviously mire things quite a bit for any
hope of libevent inclusion or bundling.  2-clause BSD and MIT are
virtually the same thing.  That's weird and annoying that the ry
author would add such a similar license as its just more crap for the
license file (and he doesn't have the authority to dump BSD if it's a
direct copy, just add more restrictions).

> I asked him about the possibility of a license change but didn't seem
> interested.

Ref. above, I don't see any legal or social problem with MIT licensed
code in libevent.  But the less license junk and exceptions, the
better IMHO..

> But it seems as if the newest versions of the NGINX parser is actually
> much better than what what was used for the ry project at the time. I
> intend to go back and take the generalized FSM NGINX uses, implement
> callbacks where needed, along with additional ones to boot. Then releasing
> back under BSD with a proper derived-from statement.
>
> This also includes a very nice and speedy uri argument parser(?=blah&whatever=1,etc..etc..)
>
> Over the weekend I was able to get most everything in working order, including
> full-control over streaming responses and a few new hooks.

This sounds particularly interesting.  I'll be following along :).