Re: [Libevent-users] Linking with -levent

On 22/05/2012 15:22, Nick Mathewson wrote:
I'd like to do it, but I'm worried about the hundreds of projects that
it would break -- namely, the ones that don't use pkgconfig.  One of
my guiding principles with Libevent is not to break existing
well-formed code, and I'd like to stick to that as far as I can.

Fair enough, I guess it can wait for another few release cycles, maybe libevent 3.0 ;-)

Is there any way to build the libevent library so that people linking
it get a useful warning at link time?  I know it's possible to do with
some unixy systems at least, looking at the __warn_references trickery
that OpenBSD uses to call me out whenever I strcpy().

I'll have a look, but issuing a deprecation warning when linking against -levent sounds reasonable.

--
Ross Lagerwall