Re: [Libevent-users] Linking with -levent

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 09:22:46AM -0400, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM, Ross Lagerwall <rosslagerwall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Linking with '-levent' is deprecated. Perhaps with libevent 2.1, it's time
> > for it to be removed? (the pkgconfig stuff will have to be updated as per
> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=461325&aid=3435107&group_id=50884)
>
> I'd like to do it, but I'm worried about the hundreds of projects that
> it would break -- namely, the ones that don't use pkgconfig.

I think it was this list that almost sold me on pkg-config. But then I tried
to compile it for OS X. pkg-config has a circular dependency on glib. So the
only way to compile pkg-config on OS X from scratch is to hack the glib
build system, which isn't the simplest of chores. IIRC, the original
pkg-config didn't have this dependency, but apparently someone thought it
wise to remove the simple list implementation in pkg-config with a
dependency on glib's list imlementation. Classic cargo cult phenomenon, I
guess.

I have half a mind to rewrite pkg-config from scratch, with zero
dependencies (build or otherwie) and ideally in a single source file (C, or
perhaps even awk). But then again, I don't actually use pkg-config for
anything. Nor has any place I ever worked at. It's only used on vendor Linux
systems, and the ports system for some BSDs.