Re: [Libevent-users] Libevent evhttp File handles increase issue resolved

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 09:36:07AM +0500, Shahid wrote:
> We have tried some use cases and found out that it is due to the fact that
> we are holding the requests to send the response when available. The default
> holding time is 60 seconds after that we send a TIMEOUT response.
>
> These kind of sockets never get closed by libevent on WAN. We have verified
> that with special cases.
>
> Now we have investigated the code and found a way to forcefully close the
> such HTTP connections within libevent. If we send an HTTP header in our
> response "Connection: close" libevent will surely close the connection after
> sending the response.
>
> We have verified that as well.
>
> My question here is whether this is a standard approach or we might get into
> some other issues with it?

If your client is sending HTTP/1.1 requests without the header
"Connection: close", keep-alive is assumed. This is the same for
HTTP/1.0 with the "Connection: keep-alive" header. This is expected
behaviour.

Your solution is correct on the server side, another option is for the
clients to tell the server to close the connection after 'n'
transactions.